I LOVE being in the kitchen, especially when I can get creative…and Halloween is the perfect time of year to do just that! Since the boys have been little we have always had a Halloween themed tea with all sort of nibbles and treats – and one of my favourite recipes has to be this one, for Meringue Ghosts! They are so easy and simple to make… yet they look and tasted great!
You will need:
4 medium egg whites
175g caster sugar
2 tbsp Icing Sugar
What to do:
- Preheat your oven to 150oc/300oF/Gas Mark 2. Line a couple of baking sheets with baking paper.
- In a really clean and dry bowl, whisk the egg whites until they are holding peaks.
- Whisk the caster sugar into the egg whites in two halves. Whisk well until it is stiff and glossy.
- Spoon the mixture onto the lined baking sheets and then get creative! Using the back of the spoon, sweep the mixture to make the ghost’s body shape, then add a little blog at either side for the arms, shaping them too!
- Place in the oven, turning the heat down to 140oc/275of/Gas Mark 1. Bake for 40-45 minutes then turn the oven off and allow the meringues to cool in the oven.
- Peel off the baking paper and place on a wire rack.
- To complete the ghosts, mix the icing sugar with a little water to make a thick paste. Use this to ‘glue’ to chocolate buttons onto the ghosts so that they look like eyes!
And there you have it – tasty Halloween treats that go down well with all the family!